Our family likes to watch a show called Man, Woman, Wild. I won’t go into great detail on it; you can follow the link for that. In short, it’s about a Man (Husband: former Green Beret from Tennessee) a Woman (Wife: former news anchor woman from the UK) and they put themselves in survival situations. They show off some interesting ways of surviving in the wild and part of that is some rustic ways to cook food.
I took down three more trees this weekend. This is part of the “Middle House Garden: Revitalization” project. As part of this project, I need to remove a series of trees that are sapping the nutrients from the garden and stunting the growth of vegetables there. I cut one a couple of weeks ago that led to the infamous “Scratched Cornea Incident” and this past Saturday I took down another three.
Mmmmm! Ummy, scrunchous bio-char. I started this burn a couple of weeks ago and I had to stop abruptly to go to the optometrist. (Here is the story on Homestead Safety) Today I had a couple of hours so I decided to finish it off.
I've already talked briefly about the Better Boy tomatoes at the MH Garden. The reason that I put the Better Boys WAAAY over there (where I can't water them very often) is that I have Money Maker tomatoes at the Home Garden. For those of you who do not know, Money Maker tomatoes are a heirloom tomato that produces a relatively large (for heirloom), tasty fruit.
I've grown the Money Makers before with mixed results (more on that later) but this is the first time that I have plan to carried the seed over to next year and I did not want the heirloom Money Maker cross pollinating with the hybrid Better Boys.
This year, for the second year, I am growing two types of tomatoes. Money Maker (Heirloom) and Better Boy (Hybrid). I wanted to separate the two so that they don't cross. I have the Money Makers planted and the home garden so I planted the Better Boys at the Middle House Garden. The MH garden is over 500 yards away so I shouldn't have any cross pollination unless I have some VERY active bees.
As part of my 5 year plan, the main crops this year are Cron, Green Beans and Lima Beans. I planted 2 50ft rows of Green Beans and Lima Beans in early April. Two weeks later, I planted 2 more 50 ft rows. Two weeks later I planted 4 75 ft rows of corn and 2 30 ft rows or okra. The okra didn't make and I plowed it up a few weeks later. Two weeks after the corn, I planted 4 75 ft rows of Green Beans and 2 75 ft rows of okra.
If you look closely at this picture, you will see the tale-tale sign of the most cursed GROUND HOG. A ground ho has eaten nearly everyone of my 75ft rows of Green Beans. Some are okay but it will take a couple of more days to find out how many seeds were just late coming up. Both my Dad and my Brother are also having Ground Hog issues. My Dad has set up a very low electric fence but this garden is no where near an outlet and solar units are pricey.